Saturday, January 20, 2007

Flaming Lips are awe-inspiring.

Ahhhhhhh.

We've finally presented the play. It went really well, I'd say. The biggest problem was people screwed up therefore skipped a lot of lines, and blocking was forgotten in some parts, too. Contrary to what Jim said about the tempos of the lines, I think they could've been done a lot better. A lot of the lines were supposed to be delivered in a way that evoked more humour, in a sort of "Who's on First" style, but I think that was lost in translation, so the audience couldn't pick up on some of the potentially funny parts. But oh well. I know WHY that happened, so I know how we can fix it, and that can only come with time and practice, really. We've got one more performance to go! Truth be told, I'm SO proud of everyone. The audience loved it, and everyone was not only there, but played their characters perfectly.

It was such a busy day. I get tired just thinking about it.

Callbacks are over, so now the final step to casting begins...

I really want to get Shaw....not just because Jim's been filling my head with the idea that I could pull off playing him, but because so far he looks like a really good acting challenge, and it occurred to me a while ago, that I'm not that much of a Musical Theatre geek. Don't get me wrong, I still love it. But I'm mostly in it for the acting, I think.

It kind of sucks though, because if I do get a part, it's most likely gonna be Shaw. I'm sure at this point someone could scold me thoroughly and say "Shut up Liam, that's nothing to complain about!" But that's exactly it. If I do get it, I'll feel like I didn't earn it because of the way Jim casts his roles. I know, obviously he knows my strengths and weaknesses, so he'd have faith that I could do it. But you know what they say: "you're only as good as your next performance." So I dunno. It doesn't bother me too much. I'm not so naive to think that Jim would cast his shows any other way, and I've come to accept it. But, you know, it kinda bugs me.

Either way, whether I get the role or not, this year is going to pack a mighty punch. Yay 80's!

So Geoff and I are having a Scriptwriting Duel. He's already got a brilliant idea, AND he's started writing it! So I have to get going. I'm still sort of gathering my energy which I spent so much of, on At Bellafonte's. But I've already got a new idea for a play/movie script. So I better not take too long to get started!

On that note, the shooting of Epson shall begin forthwith, when Kylian gets back.

That's all for now.

Ciao, folks.

1 comment:

Kesineeee said...

I totally know how you feel about the casting thing. Although I am trying not to dwell on what I will, or will not get cast as, I am fairly sure if I do get a part, it will be Rusty, and that this idea has been in Jim's head all along. Also don't get me wrong, I reeeeally want Rusty too, I think she is a full singing, acting, and dancing challenge, and I am totally up for it, but yeah, if I get her, I want to know I've earned it. Ah well, Jim will always be Jim.

Also, I am SO excited to see At Bellafonte's. It sounds SO amazing. I am SO excited, and amazed at how you pulled together all at the last second, and apparently had a rockin' performance. Thats great! I will come watch any play you make, and good luck on that script-writing competition!