Friday, April 16, 2010

3/4 Complete

So I've finished an overall fabulous third year and am now scrambling for a job in Vic for the summer. At this very moment however, I'm in my kitchen in Calgary, trying to figure out what to do with my afternoon so I don't waste it. So I'm on here, blogging.

I've grown a lot this year. And I'm not burnt out like I was at the end of Second Year. While Second Year was a relatively gruelling and disheartening year punctuated by moments of joy, this year was a joyful year punctuated by moments of suffering. There is much to look back on with fondness. First, I fell in love with Shakespeare, then I fell in love with Chekhov and naturalism, and then I fell in love with a beautiful girl. Not too shabby.

I went through Lent as well. I gave up chocolate and Facebook, and I went to Church on Sundays. The third decision was an interesting experience, and although at times I felt it gave me the sense of a spiritual community I still felt like an outsider looking in on it no matter how hard I tried. I'm not giving up though. Far from it. But I need a way to define my spirituality, whatever it may be. I also underwent the usual theological debates I put myself through when I think about the matter way more than is good for me. I started by re-reading C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, and immediately after, The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality. Both had brilliant points, and I won't go into this matter right now but devote an entire blog entry to it instead.
What I did get from Lent is a reminder that the act of self-denial and restraint can make you appreciate things more. I realise chocolate and Facebook are relatively small things to be giving up, but even with small things, having those kinds of boundaries made me find creative alternatives: my diet was probably a little bit healthier and I had more time on my hands--in fact I didn't miss Facebook at all. The other thing I learned was after Lent was finished, things went back to the way they were. I immediately gorged myself on chocolate and it made me sick. I check Facebook quite regularly like I used to, wasting away time that could be spent doing other things. It's as if nothing ever changed, any progress made over Lent was lost, as far as self-restraint and willpower goes. What I got from this is that just because I couldn't have chocolate for forty days does not mean that I will now savour it as much as I did on Easter. The same is true of anything in life. What I got from Lent was the inspiration to live a simpler life; certainly one of moderation. This is a truism, but obviously one that needs repeating. Quite often humans are quick to forget their past experiences, and lack the foresight to improve themselves. I know I certainly do. So we have to constantly remind ourselves of it, and there should be no shame in forgetting so long as we do our utmost not to stay ignorant.

As for this Summer, it will be a Lenten Summer, financially speaking. This is where I need my friends' help. The rules for my Summer are:

1. I will not spend a dime on alcohol, except for two specific birthdays. I'll go out to bars, but not if there's a cover charge. And I'm not drinking unless someone buys me a drink.
2. I may not spend money on eating out unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and not a moment before. So friends, please don't invite me out to dinner if you want to hang out with me unless you're willing to pay for dinner. I'm serious, I have to watch my money like a hawk, and spend it only on groceries and necessities.

As for how I'll be spending it, besides working, I'm still devoting it to writing and drawing, as I said before. Probably more to writing, though. I'm working on my fairy-tale novel and my SATCo piece, and I'll be playing around with Garage Band and iMovie as well.

It's going to be a busy Summer, but that's what I want. And I'm still resolved to make this an Extraordinary Year.

On that note, I'll be blogging more as well.

2 comments:

Andrew Wade said...

It's hard not to feel like an outsider when coming to an already-formed community.

Heck, I went to my current church on-and-off for years that way. I find, the only way I can really feel part of a community is by volunteering, by doing, by actively trying to work toward a goal with others in the community. For me, that meant volunteering in the children's ministry and being a greeter.

I dunno - it seems difficult for me to feel like I'm a part of a larger group unless I'm actively trying to help that group become better.

(see: UVic = Senate, Peer Helping, Students for Literacy. See: UVSS = ran twice for DaL. And so forth.)

Genny said...

Hey Dude,

Totally get the overspending thing. I've been really unwise with my funds, and I should really try and cut down on my non-essentials.

I'd like to have a few collective dinners and potlucks where everyone puts in a finacial contribution of about $10 tops, and helps cook. You get to take away leftovers, too. And its a great way for the non-chef types of our circle to get more aquainted with the kitchen.

And we all love you, pal! If you need any kind of advice, moral support, emotional butt-kicking ... I can help!

- G