Tuesday, March 8, 2011

In Twenty Minutes...

...I will be refined sugar-free for the next forty days. That means, among other things, no candy, no junk food, no pastries, no bread. You read me correctly. No bread. Those who know me well know I am a breadoholic. It's my yeasty, wheaty cryptonite. And I'm implicitly giving it up. Not to mention most kinds of cereal. You'd be surprised what things have refined sugar in them, if you actually read the ingredients. You'd also be surprised what things I could technically get away with eating. Margarine has no sugar in it, and neither does Kraft Dinner. What's wrong with this picture? Well, what they lack in sugar, they make up in sodium. But I'm not on a sodium diet. Mind you, I feel I should cut down on those things anyway; this seems generally conducive to what I'm trying to accomplish.

On that note, I'm doing this to live healthier by forcing me to be more mindful of what I eat. One might say it's a routine effort to practice self-compassion, if one were to categorize it in Karen Armstrong's terms. It's also forcing me to learn to cook new dishes. So if anybody has any recipe suggestions for sugar-free dishes (especially desserts, I'll probably grapple with this one the most), please let me know!

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Gabrielle Zoia said...

Good Luck! I will be on the lookout for sugar free recipes to send your way!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

Daniel Tammet(Brain man )

Anonymous said...

Haha just kidding since you're never found on facebook, i wanted to surprise you with that brain name XD!

arash