Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009: The Year of Gettin'erdone

These were my New Year's Resolutions from 2008:

-rig the US presidential elections so the democrats win
-be a better listener
-be a better reader
-finish the Harry Potter series
-read more plays
-read more CanLit
-read more contemporary lit in general. I have way too many old
dead guys sitting on my shelves. Not that I mind their company,
I need to spice up my personal library with a little more variety.
-actually give up something worth giving up for Lent. Or just give
something up in general.
-get writing into my daily schedule
-go to the gym
-meditate more
-watch more movies
-submit at least one article to the Martlet
-submit at least one comic to the Martlet
-finish my old sketchbook once and for all
-draw more
-get my freaking drivers license
-get to know my res-people a little better
-write to Grandma and Grandpa
-Learn how to love myself, and judge others less

Of all of these the only ones I achieved were that I read more plays, and I gave up alcohol for Lent. Some of those I did less of. I think I didn't end up doing a lot of those because they were vague and unquanitifiable. I won't make that same mistake. I have a few goals for this year, which I have every intention of fulfilling. I still enjoy resolutions, I don't care how silly people think they are. It's a great notion, to find specific ways to better ourselves and enrich our lives. "But we don't need New Years resolutions to do that" you may say. You're right. But it's one more opportunity to do so actively, and publicly announce it as well, so others who see it can bear witness to your commitment to them, and others can encourage you and call you on it if you don't achieve them. And it's also for the fun of it. I enjoy getting into the spirit of things, so why not? Anyway, here are my resolutions, which are more than just resolutions because they affect my work ethic and how I'm evaluated in school:

1. Excercise every day until March 28. Go to gym at least 4 times a week.
2.Write every day, from now until December 31, 2009. Keep a notebook handy at all times, and at the end of day, write in lap top or notebook. If I have neither handy for whatever reason, I'll have to write as soon as I get the opportunity. And remember, NO WRITING IS WASTED WRITING.

Yes, these seem like unrealistic goals, but honestly, the only thing keeping me from achieving them is myself. They are to become as necessary as eating, sleeping, going to school, and brushing my teeth. As necessary as it is for devout Muslims to say their five daily prayers. It's overwhelming to imagine actually carrying this out. And it will hurt, especially for someone who wavers as easily as I do. But if I can fulfill these, then the reward will more than compensate.

No comments: