Sunday, February 22, 2009

I've been checking my e-mail several times a day now. I think something's wrong with me. It's different today because usually I get, more or less, a constant stream of e-mails, whereas today I've received none. How troubling it is, how dependent I've become on hearing from the outside world. You can blame it on an addiction to the internet, but that's too easy. It runs deeper than that. After all, I'm always happy to get real mail come in through the slot in the door. The only reason I don't check it as often is because the mail generally only comes once a day, and I rarely get any, so I don't expect it. E-mail however can come at any moment, correspondence from anybody in the entire world (although they're more likely just facebook messages or those tastefully tasteless and silly jokes that my mom forwards me from her older sister, Carmel). But there's always that hope, however small, that someone will send you a message so heartfelt or thought-provoking or urgent, you'll remember that people really care about you, and you're not alone in your garret. That will make this frantic addiction to e-mail justified. But until then, it's quite a waste of time and energy, especially when I should be doing homework. I ought to limit myself to checking just once a day, like snail mail.

Anyway, back to the grindstone.

Not to pleased that I'm missing the Oscars right now....

No comments: