Monday, August 24, 2009

O Borealia! Our home and native land...

So the next book on my list in my search for Canada (on the literary plane anyway) is A Fair Country by John Ralston Saul.

And if I may add one more thing to Andrew Cohen's arguments is that I think we should dissolve the Canadian Film sections at movie stories. Yes, a tiny little detail to fuss over, but if anything shows our attitude toward our own arts and culture is this. It indicates that Canadian film is either too pretentious or too crappy to be put into the mainstream section. It's one thing to have a Foreign section all to itself, but it's something else to have a Canadian section to itself in our own country, as if it was something foreign. I think the best way to promote Canadian films is not to segregate them, but to plant them in with the rest. I guess the argument against this is that if we did this, then those films won't be as noticed in the mainstream film sections, and therefore Canadian film will suffer. But if all of them are out of sight from the mainstream then they're out of mind of the people who won't ever look outside the mainstream. It's something to consider anyway. None of this is based on solid evidence, just anecdotal. All the same, I can't help but feel I'm the only one out there who feels this way. I want the Canadian film industry to flourish as much as anybody else. A tiny detail though it may be, I am curious to see what would happen.

By the way, here are some other names our country almost had before our forefathers settled on "Canada":
Vesperia (Latin for "Land of the Evening Star")
Ursalia (Latin for "Place of Bears")
Borealia (Latin for "Northern Place")
Mesopelagia (Greek for "Land Between the Seas")
Cabotia (named after John Cabot)
Tuponia (an acronym for The United States of North America)

Imagine that. We could've been called Vesperians. How badass is that? I think it would be, anyway.

1 comment:

Wulf said...

Another alternative is to put all the movies filmed in Canada in the Canadian film section. That would bulk it up a bit, hehe.

And Ursalia is my favourite. No one would mess. "You don't take advantage of an URSALIAN!"