Thursday, December 7, 2006

Hello

Sorry guys, I've neglected this blog like an illegitimate child. I assure you though, I will be posting on here.

Today was my valedictorian interview. It was rather nerve racking, as I sat in front of five female magistrates, Brandie, Mrs. Waters, Ms. Hunter, Mrs. Faulkner, and Samantha Bellamy. I knew them all, and they were all very friendly and keen on hearing what I had to say, but in some ways that didn't make it less nerve racking. They'd look at me with such hopeful eyes that said "yeah? And then what?" They'd ask me things like 'How do you feel about Westmount?' and 'why do you want to be valedictorian?' I'd pause for a while, trying my best to impress, trying my best not to disappoint those intentful eyes. I'd answer a question and as I spoke there was a flurry of pencil etching, and when I'd stop they'd stop, which made it kind of creepy and humourous. Some of my answers were very generic, but I think overall the interview went well. They seemed to have confidence in me regardless of what I said. But who knows? Maybe they do that to fill you up with hope before they crush your petty dreams. But for now, it's out of my hands, and I'm still feeling pretty confident about myself. Honestly, I think it'll come down to Scott and I. I don't know, perhaps Chanda and maybe Aamar, but to me it seems like Scott is a main contender to look out for. Or at least he's the person I'd want to be valeditorian the most, if I didn't make the cut. So, next is to see who made the first cut. Until then, I'll go on living my life as usual. But I do REALLY want to get this.

Man, if I could keep the newspaper going, start up Students For a Free Tibet, get valedictorian, get accepted into UVic get a couple scholarships, have At Bellafonte's performed relatively well, and make a couple movies on the way, I will be SO happy. The best part is, it's ALL within reason! It's possible! It CAN BE DONE! I shall have to bide my time...

So, I'm working on a submission for the Grant MacEwan Young Writer's Award, and I have to do it on something related to Alberta. It pains me to do it, but if I have to, I will. I was planning on doing an essay on post-Klein Albertan politics, but I knew squat about Albertan politics (except that it kinda sucks), so I decided I'd do a short story that is loosely related to Alberta, from the perspective of someone who feels like an outsider to this place, which pretty much mirrors my own personal feelings about living here, so it should fit in well. I decided to do this because I can't STAND writing about Alberta, so I'm going to try to curb it to my interests as much as possible. I just have to keep in mind: It's for money! And who knows, perhaps I'll be able to produce something I would actually be proud of. Regardless, I'll post it on here when I'm finished it.

I can't wait to start our Mr. Roboto movie, Kylian! And your Splinter Cell action flick!

love,
Liam

3 comments:

Joelle Haney said...

I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!

Redcard Sanchez said...

I thought blogger wasn't letting you in or something...turns out you just DON'T CARE ENOUGH!

Man, that would be pretty cool if you or Scott got valedictorian. Or you AND Scott. Or you and Scott and Chanda and Aamar. I could imagine Westmount making that into a tradition.

I can't imagine actually sitting down and writing something about Alberta, even for money. Hey! maybe you could make At Bellafonte's about Alberta by calling the Bellafontes the Kleins and calling Lester Gorsky big oil. It's biting political satire. You can't lose.

Anyway, hope all goes well.

Rita

Kesineeee said...

You would be SUCH a perfect Valedictorian for our school, as would Scott. I think that you two would be fantastic! You will be able to do it!