Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Hi again!

Yesterday was my first drivers ed class. Absolutely riveting. I can't believe people actually do 8 hour classes of that. Good god.

Big news! I got a letter on Monday, from Mount Allison. Naturally, being rather nervous about opening it, I waited a little. I'd pace back and forth in the small space of my room, pondering whether I should in fact open it then and there. But of course, the suspense was too much for me, so I opened it up. I opened it expecting it to say whether or not I was accepted. What I did NOT expect was that instead it was an offer. An offer for a 12 fucking thousand dollar scholarship!! Needless to say, I was flabbergasted. Of course,if I did go there, this 12 000 dollars woudn't come all at once. It would be spaced out, 3000$ per year. But still, it's an honour that THEY would offer ME their highest entrance scholarship. I was giddy for quite some time, you can imagine. I'd never been offered a scholarship, let alone from a University. Now this is what confused me though. They offer me this, but they still hadn't officially, directly stated that I was accepted. So it was kinda weird. But an offer like that must mean SOMETHING. Well, the next day an official letter of acceptance arrived, somewhat anticlimactically, to my humble little abode. So this is what it's like, getting your first letter of acceptance. Yet, in spite of the absolute honour that it is, it's not what I'm aiming for. Mount Allison is so far away, from everything and everyone. I know it sounds crazy, but even with the scholarship, I don't think I want to go. It remains a plan B, while I hold my breath for UVic, and if I get accepted there, scholarship or none, I'm gonna go out West. My mom thinks I should go to Mount Allison, now that all this has come in the mail. I shouldn't be surprised. It is a fabulous AND well-known school. But it's not for me, plain and simple. I don't want to disappoint my mom, or anyone else who thinks I should go east, but I can't go to appease or impress anyone. This is my life, yes? Perhaps when I was 12 I would've jumped at the idea of going to Mount Allison, when I still wanted to graduate from there and go on to Oxford and be a Rhodes Scholar. It's amazing, really, how much I've changed in 6 years.
But anyway, I'm still enjoying the fact that I've been accepted SOMEWHERE. It's quite the feeling. But I won't be able to rest until I hear from UVic. At least then I can start planning for it and everything. WHY DO THEY TAKE SO BLOODY LONG?! I want to go there so badly.

2 comments:

Paula R said...

I am inherently jealous of you right now. If I got a scholarship that big, I would be taking journalism instead of poli sci, at a better school that actually offers what I want. But good for you for holding out for what you really want. Happiness is worth more than $12,000.

Kesineeee said...

aww it totally is! I am holding my breath right along with you! Ahhh So soon!