Tuesday, October 23, 2007

An Attempt at Mindfulness

Every now and then I take a crack at meditation. On a bad day, it's really quite frustrating, and I'm so easily distracted with the noise and madness in my head, and then I become aware of my distraction, which makes it even more frustrating, so it feels like I've wasted my time. But I know that every attempt is worth it, ultimately. On a good day, I manage to separate myself from my thoughts, and I get to a point where I really feel the effects of mindfulness. I'll try to explain. You become so aware of everything around you, and with your eyes closed it feels like everything is really close to you, every sound and every sensation. It also feels like, when I open my eyes, it feels like everything is really far away; I look down at my feet and it feels like I'm so high up from them, because I feel so entrenched within my own mind, as if I'm a small observer, looking out through a window into the world. It's really hard to explain, and it's not really as fantastical as I make it out to sound. It sounds trippy, but it's really not. It's just a feeling like...like you're really there, and your mind isn't anywhere else. It's a feeling of presence, a strong concentration. It's quite a cool feeling. But I know it doesn't stop there. There's even more concentration and practice that can lead you to an even deeper and more focused state. That's what I think mindfulness is all about, as I've experienced it. A calm, focused, single-pointedness of mind. I just wish I could have that as soon as I get off of my pillow and go live my daily life. Meditation can make you feel quite good and relaxed sometimes, but what good is it, really, unless it's benefits start to show in the rest of your life? I'm not sure if it really has shown or not. I just need to be patient. It's a long, agonising, and exciting process.

1 comment:

Kesineeee said...

you are so good at expressing yourself in words...I love reading this blog...I really do. Such an interesting post too!